Home: Basics of Organization
Updated: Jan 9, 2019
1) MEDITATE AND VISUALIZE: To get motivated ! Sit in a quiet corner, cross legged, deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Visualize a house without clutter. An organized house. Everything in its place. How do you feel?
2) WRITE IT DOWN: On paper, Break down house into rooms. Start with one room and assign days. Work out the steps to the project on paper in advance to clarify your thoughts.
3) BREAK YOUR PROJECT: Break your project into small, manageable chunks and create interim deadlines for yourself along the way.
4)START: Master the art of starting. Over and over again. The HARDEST thing is starting.
5) STAY MOTIVATED: Do the hard parts first. Or Do the easy parts first. Whichever motivates you more is the one you should choose.
6) PROGRESS LOG: Keep a progress log so you don't lose sight of how much you've accomplished.
Keep: Items used on a regular basis.
Donate/Sell: Items that are no longer used or are duplicates - things that you can do without and would rather give it to someone else for them to benefit from.
Store: These are sentimental things that you want to hold on to but don't need to have cluttering up your daily living space.
Trash/Recycle: Things that are no longer usable. Worried about how to decide what gets tossed? Follow Liz's suggestion, "If you need to spend more than 15 seconds thinking about what something is, or when you last used it, or why you even have it, then you probably don't need it
8) MAINTENANCE: There is no organizational system in the world that will work if it is not maintained. Aim for a system, or level of belongings, that will let you pick up any room in three minutes. No room should take more than 3 minutes every day once you have organized every room.
9) SET A ROUTINE: Create systems that support your newly organized life. Make Monday bill-paying day. It will avoid paper pile-up on your desk, and make it easier to remember.
10) REWARD yourself after you organize every room. It is an accomplishment that should be celebrated.
No Exercise for Day 8